Saturday, October 1, 2011

Prof. Melissa Sisco, a clinical/forensic psychologist, joins the Department of Psychology

I am a University of Arizona alumni and border city conscious clinician.  I came to Chicago to complete a clinical internship at the University of Illinois Medical Center and subsequently stayed to become a part of the social justice focus here at Roosevelt University.  I have a joint doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology and Psychology, Policy, and the Law.  I am currently exploring alternative avenues of enhancing resilience after interpersonal trauma including community mobilization, ego strengthening, and cultural promotion.  I focus my clinical efforts and research on understanding the cycle of systematic and interpersonal trauma that ensues from differential power dynamics including gender, ethnicity, and social class through mentoring, program development/evaluation, therapeutic services, and grant writing.  I am particularly interested in the interplay between intimate victimization and perpetration.

I have taken part in a variety of agencies that address the trauma response including: the County Prosecutor’s Office, RESTORE Restorative Justice Agency, the Arizona Department of Corrections, the Southern Arizona Veteran’s Health Services, the Board of Homicide Survivors, and the Urban Youth Trauma center.

I thoroughly enjoy working with students to help them develop and create a path to the academic or professional venue that will bring the most happiness for each student and the greatest social change to the community.  I tend to have long-lasting, supportive relationships with my proteges and tend to work best with students who are self-driven.  I have several projects available for both undergraduates and graduates to get involved in; they are listed on my website http://sites.roosevelt.edu/msisco01.  Feel free to contact me if you would like to explore these avenues further or just chat about making a plan towards a forensic or clinical career.

2 comments:

  1. I focus my clinical efforts and research on understanding the cycle of systematic and interpersonal trauma that ensues from differential power dynamics including gender, ethnicity forensic psychology degrees

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn!! She's fucking sexy!!

    ReplyDelete