Thursday, September 26, 2013

Dr. Sarah Elliott, Cognitive Psychologist, Joins Our Department


Hello, I am a new Cognitive Psychology professor here at Roosevelt. I completed my B.A. at the University of Nevada, Reno and my Ph.D. at the University of California, Davis. Most recently, I completed a NRSA Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Chicago. In general, I study how our brains create a perceptual experience from visual stimuli. In particular, I am interested in the neural mechanisms of form and color perception and how these mechanisms may be compromised by normal age or disease. If you’d like to learn more about my research or browse my publications, feel free to visit my web page: http://sites.roosevelt.edu/selliott/research/

I currently teach Sensation and Perception (Psyc 325) and Cognitive Processes (Pysc 326) at Roosevelt University. One reason I was interested in Roosevelt University is because of its strong focus on Social Justice. In my courses, students learn to apply behavioral neuroscience concepts to their own thoughts and behaviors, such as how they perceive and then act towards events and other people. The take-away message from these lessons is that sometimes our brain is our own worst enemy, and it’s important to recognize when our brains create misrepresentations. These concepts can be very important in social situations, such as where we misremember details of what was said, what a person looked like and what they were wearing, or even events that transpired.

As a scientist and mentor, I am committed to scientific outreach and student success. I regularly volunteer for the Museum of Science and Industry, and previously volunteered for several student run organizations at the University of Chicago to engage the public in neuroscience research. I look forward to participating in events at Roosevelt to foster interest in STEM careers and teach students, as well as the public, the importance of scientific research. As a mentor, I am happy to speak with students about their future plans and help them take the necessary steps to achieve their goals. Students should always feel free to contact me with any questions, whether about Cognitive Psychology, or general questions about their future goals selliott07@roosevelt.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment